Information on the signlangtv.org website, an introduction, our goals, our disclaimer...
Thanks for visiting signlangtv.org. It is an independent guide to television broadcasting for the Deaf, that is sign language content available on television around the world. We carefully search through the internet, television schedules and announcements, as well as other resources to select, elaborate on and provide documentation for television shows, both created by Deaf people as well as interpreted into sign language. We do our best to provide accurate information on crucial aspects of every show, including transmission times and dates, Deaf signers and interpreters, as well as sign language and its quality.
Our goals are...
- to highlight the need to inform and entertain Deaf communities to prevent their social isolation
- to promote the work of individuals and broadcasters doing their best to inform the Deaf and/or let them speak for themselves
- to encourage broadcasters to provide natural sign language interpretation for various televised content
- to encourage broadcasters to employ Deaf people as journalists and editors
- to encourage broadcasters to explore Deaf issues in both specialized programmes and as parts of general programming
- to encourage Deaf people from all over the world to seek for information in their own language
- to encourage Deaf people from all over the world to learn other sign languages for getting information
- to encourage Hearing people from all over the world to acknowledge the richness of sign languages and Deaf cultures